This is another one of the recent pieces I’ve done, again combining part of an old linocut with stamps and gouache paint. This is the first work in which I included stamps that I printed right on the board.
It took me a long time to see what might be emerging in the work. I saw the central fish first, but much of the piece was unformed for quite a while. When the green and pink fish finally emerged, they reminded me of childhood paintings.
As I work, I’ve started paying attention to light, dark and medium hues. I learned to focus on this in textile courses I took when I was doing fibre art work. I find that photographing the work on my phone and doing a quick edit to a black, white and grey image helps me see what’s going on and not only be caught up with the colours I’m using.
Here’s the full work plus a close up:
P.S. My apologies to the birds who don’t want to be ignored!